Bloating Causes, Symptoms & Home Remedies for Treating It
23-08-2017 | Posted By: Shagun Parasher | 1131 View(s)
Ever experienced abnormal swelling near the abdominal region on your body? Is there any appearance of pain with the same? If you have been suffering from anything like that for long but couldn’t make out what exactly it was, do not worry. Keep reading, and you will get to know everything about Bloating.
What is Bloating?
A Bloat is an abnormal swelling that is caused due to gas. It increases the diameter of the abdominal region. It results in the tightening of this part, and the person may feel full. Severe cases can lead to stomach cramps as well. Normally, there is one litre of gas in our gastrointestinal tract. This value, however, is variable because of the lifestyle and diets.
Symptoms Associated with Bloating
One of the most shared and first symptoms of Bloating involves that the stomach is full or completely distended. Here are the symptoms related to Bloating.
• Shortness of Breath
• Sharp pains that can be caused anywhere in the body and they change locations as well.
• Stomach Cramps
• Ascetics and Tumors– These are important but uncommon factors that give rise to a Bloat.
Pains of gas are sometimes so severe that they are related to being a heart pain if they appear on the upper left side of the chest and a gall bladder or appendix pain if it appears on the right side of the chest.Hiccups are also a symptom of gas, but they are not usually related to abdominal gas. They help in releasing the gas anywhere inside the digestive system before it can actually cause Bloating. They disappear on their own.
Why do you feel Bloated?
Bloating can be caused due to various factors. A Bloat is mainly formed due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), constipation, or even due to lactose intolerance. Here are the causes of Bloating you should know.
Gas and Air
Bloating can also be caused due to other reasons. Here are some common medical causes of Bloating.
1. Over-eating– This is the primary cause behind abdominal bloats. Over-eating can cause flatulence as well.
2. Gastric distension– Bloating of the stomach when the air is pumped into it.
3. Food Intolerance– Body’s intolerance to food items that consist of Lactose, Fructose and Gluten can lead to Bloat formation.
4. Aerophagia– It basically means swallowing air. This usually happens in nervous conditions. This one is the most common cause of bloating, especially after you’ve eaten or you haven’t eaten anything at all. Gas builds inside the digestive tract when you swallow air, and the undigested foods get broken down.
5. Food Allergies– There are many people who are allergic to certain foods. These allergies often lead to bloat formation in the abdominal region.
6. Constipation– The gas that is formed due to digestion is trapped behind the slowly moving stool, and this leads to the severity of illness and your abdomen bloats.
7. Sugary foods– Foods such as pastry, cookies, desserts, sweetened soda, fruit juices etc. are rich in the sugar content and this can cause abdominal bloats. If you want your skin to look healthy and supple, you should avoid or lower the consumption of sugars in your diet.
8. Smoking– Bloating is caused due to smoking as well. This is because smokers inhale a lot of air than people who do not smoke. This can lead to a build up of gas in the oesophagus or stomach.
9. Irritable Bowel Syndrome– IBS is the condition where a person suffers from Bloating, abdominal pain and cramping. This leads to the change in bowel movement, but the bowel structure remains the same. Infections of the intestine can cause IBS. Stress even triggers this in some people.
10. Diverticulosis– It is the formation of abnormal multiple pouches or Diverticula in the colon. These pouches are not inflamed. They do not form symptoms but coexist with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This is not a serious disorder, but they can turn into one if the pouches start to bleed.
11. Alvarez’ syndrome– This is the condition when there is abdominal Boating without any excess gas in the digestive system. This is recognised under unexplained abdominal bloat formation.
Some other Uncommon Causes that can Cause Abdominal Bloats are :
12. Ovarian Cancer
13. Ovarian Cysts
14. Partial Bowel obstruction
15. Rapid Gastric emptying
17. Weight Gain
What to do to prevent Bloating?
You need to change your Lifestyle. Bloating is caused because of our diets. Adopting a few simple, healthy lifestyle changes can help to avoid Bloating. If you are overweight, then you must consider losing some weight. You need to ensure that you do not swallow too much of air. To do this, you should
1. Eat slowly and avoid bringing straw into use while drinking.
2. Limit the intake of carbonated drinks as they consist of gas.
3. Avoid foods and vegetables that cause gas. Foods such as cabbage, lentils, dried beans etc. are classified under gassy foods.
4. Avoid chewing gum. It can make you swallow some extra air which can lead to abdominal bloats.
Treating Bloating at Home
Bloating happens due to the gas build up in the stomach. Massaging near the diaphragm helps expel the excess gas build up from your belly. If you cannot locate your diaphragm, then, put four fingers above your belly button and massage that area in circular motions for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Peppermint Tea
Drinking a cup of peppermint tea helps treat bloating. It is also helpful in alleviating bad breath. One thing, two benefits!
3. A Lemon a day keeps the Doctor Away.
This doesn’t sound as catchy as the famous “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, but lemon can do the same wonders for our health as the apple. Lemon helps stimulate acid production in our body. This helps in the breakdown of food more efficiently and quickly. This, in turn, helps in reducing abdominal bloats. All you need to do is warm some water, squeeze a lemon in it, stir and drink.
4. Bloat Relieving Cocktail
Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? All you need to do for preparing a Bloat Relieving drink is to just squeeze a lemon into a glass and add a spoon or two of baking soda to it. Add a cup of water into it and here is your mighty Bloat-Relieving Cocktail ready.
5. Fennel Seeds or Saunf
Now this one is the fastest remedy for bloated bellies. Chew a small amount of fennel seeds when you feel there is some kind bloating or gas in your tummy. You cannot miss out on this one because it is the fastest pain and bloat- relieving remedy. Also, it works as a mouth freshener as well.
This is the simplest and one of the most effective treatments for bloated bellies. Walking helps gas to pass through the digestive tract effectively. You just need a walk of 10 minutes for the gas to be expelled. You can also pace up and down through the stairs for the same. P.s Breathe only through the nose. Breathing through the mouth will make it worse, and the Bloating won’t go too.
7. Bananas to the Rescue
Bananas are an excellent source of fibre. They not only help constipation but also reduce Bloating. Bananas contain Potassium which helps regulate the fluid levels in your body.
It is a great herb that helps in reducing gas and prevents bloating. It is available in almost every Indian kitchen. It consists of several active ingredients. The gingerols contribute to reducing inflammation of the intestine and relaxes its muscles. Eat freshly grated ginger everyday before meals or sprinkle the grated ginger onto your food. You can also take it along the water. Just boil some water and put four-five slices of ginger into it. Let it steep for 10-15 minutes, pour some honey and lemon, and You are ready to go. Drink this juice before every meal if the condition is severe.
Turmeric or Haldi is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Around 87% of people reported having lessened gas and flatulence after seven days.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix apple cider vinegar with warm water and drink it before you eat to eliminate gas and bloating after a meal.
So, this was all about Bloating, its causes, symptoms associated with it and home remedies to treat abdominal bloats. Hope this helped you. Live Healthy and Happy and it case you suffer from Bloating issues do not hesitate to Consult a Doctor.