Pros and Cons of Eating Green Chillies
24-07-2017 | Posted By: Chhavi | 8657 View(s)
Green chillies not just add spice to the dishes, making it delicious but there are abundant health benefits of eating green chillies too. They are rich in antioxidants and various other nutrients that fight off many health problems.
Let’s look at some amazing benefits of eating green chillies:
1. Green chillies boost our heart health. Eating green chillies on a regular basis can reduce blood cholesterol, triglyceride levels and platelet aggregation and increase fibrinolytic activity which in turn prevents cardiovascular diseases. Fibrinolytic activity is the ability of the body to prevent the formation of blood clots, which can result in a heart attack or stroke.
2. Green chillies include capsaicin which stimulates the hypothalamus, thereby lowering body temperature. Thus, add green chillies to your daily diet to regulate your body temperature.
3. Green chillies contain capsaicin that helps in stimulating blood flow through the membranes and makes mucus secretion thinner, which in turns helps in treating common cold and sinus infections.
4. Green chillies are quite spicy, and the heat they produce helps in relieving pain in digestive problems.
5. Green chillies include Vitamin C and beta-carotene which helps in making eyes healthy and keeping the skin glowing and rejuvenated. It also boosts the immune system. Overexposure of the green chillies to heat, light and air can cause them to lose their Vitamin C, hence make sure to store the green chillies in a dark, cool area.
5. Green chillies are said to release mood booster hormones called endorphins, that reduces the stress levels and ease the pain.
6. It is scientifically proven that green chillies balance blood sugar levels. Thus, if you have diabetes, add green chillies to your daily diet.
7. Green chillies are loaded with Vitamin K that helps in decreasing the risk of osteoporosis and of bleeding continuously when you are injured.
8. Green chillies protect us against cancer. They are loaded with rich antioxidants that protect the body against free radicals causing different kinds of cancer. They are also known to be very efficient in keeping prostate problems at bay.
9. Green chillies contain zero calories, and that is why they are best known to boost body’s metabolism, thereby preventing weight gain. Eat two to three green chillies daily to maintain your body weight.
10. Yes, it is true that eating green chillies is good for health. However, an excess of anything is bad. Eating green chillies in a high amount can also lead to various health problems.
Some of the side effects of overeating green chillies are:
1. As chilli is very spicy and hot, it brings a lot of heat into the body. If you live in a place where the temperature is quite warm, then eat less or avoid eating chillies as then the body may become overheated and lead to chest pain, stomach problems, constipation, anxiety, dry skin, red eyes and heart palpitations.
2. If you are undergoing treatment for liver disease, heart disease, blood pressure or kidney disease; then it is best to visit and ask your Doctor about the number of chillies you want to intake as too much consumption of green chillies can make these health conditions worse.
3. Even it is said that pregnant women should avoid eating too many green chillies as it can cause heartburn and other health problems.
4. Those who deal with these problems: stomach and bowel ulcers, fever, throat, dry mouth, haemorrhoids, swelling, urinary infections, dry flashes and stomach infections should avoid eating too many green chillies.
So, now you know the various pros and cons of including green chillies in your diet. What are you waiting for? Add this spicy food to your daily diet, but make sure to eat it in a limited amount so as to prevent health conditions. If you experience any problem after eating green chillies, make sure to consult a doctor.