Are you suffering From Hair Loss ?
23-06-2016 | Posted By: Admin | 1746 View(s)
Hair loss or baldness is the loss of hair from the head or scalp which occurs both in male and female. About 90% of our hair grows continuously for about 2 to 6 years whereas the other 10% of the hair lies in a resting position and falls at the end of the resting phase that lasts for 2 to 3 months. Human hair varies from 100,000 to even more and shedding of 50 to 100 hairs every day is normal. New hair starts growing from the same follicle on the scalp and the cycle of growing and falling of hair starts again. Scalp hairs grow about one and a half-inch a month. With age, the rate of hair growth slows down.
There are several reasons for hair loss or baldness such as:
• Change in hormones;
• No treatment of ringworms in the scalp;
• Excess amount of Vitamin A in the body;
• Deficiency of protein;
• Rapid weight loss;
• Wearing of helmets while driving a bike or scooter;
But according to the age-old norms of hair fall, hair fall does not occur because of poor blood circulation in the scalp or due to dandruff. If early hair loss begins then, it tends to severe baldness.
Hair Replacement Surgeries can do wonders to get rid of Hair Loss:-
If your hair does not grow naturally and you are suffering from baldness, then there are many hair replacement techniques and surgeries which may help to maintain and retain the hair. But these hair replacement surgeries are not so effective in the case of total baldness. The back and side hair act as a donator in any hair transplantation or replacement surgeries thus the healthy growth of hair in the back and sides is very important. The centre replacement surgeries are as follows:-
• Hair transplant: – In a hair transplant, small pieces of hair-bearing scalp grafts are taken from the back or side of the scalp and then relocated to the bald area or the thinning area.
• Tissue expansion: – In this method, a device known as a tissue expander is located under a hair-bearing area next to the bald area where hair growth is fragile. After some weeks, new cells grow as the tissue expander helps to breed new cells and then these new skin cells are located in the bald areas of the scalp with the help of another surgery.
• Scalp reduction: – Scalp reduction is a technique in which bald scalp is removed with the hair-bearing scalp, section pulled together by filling the anaesthesia areas.
Complications regarding Hair Transplant:
In spite of the several advanced methods of hair replacement that we are availing nowadays, there are several complications regarding this kind of treatments and surgeries. They are as follows:
• Patchy hair growth, i.e.; the patchy look of the new hair transplanted beside thinner hair, which looks very irregular but it can be corrected by further surgeries.
• Bleeding in the scalp or wide scars.
• Proper relocating of the grafts and further surgeries if the grafts are not taking.
The procedure followed for the hair replacement surgeries is as under:
• Surgeon’s office-based surgical facility;
• Hospital inpatient;
• Hospital outpatient;
• Outpatient surgery centre;
• Anaesthesia which can be either general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia containing sedative.
• The length of procedure: – Hair transplant surgeries may take 2 to 3 years for the final result including several surgical sessions and gaps between each session.
• Recuperation period: – The shedding of the Plugged or grafted hair within a month or a two after the surgery is normal and then it is followed by the growth of new hair within a month or two. Surgical touch ups are needed to make the hair look natural. This may involve blending and filling of hair by mini grafts, slit grafts or micrografts.
Hair replacement with the Help of Medicines:-
• Finasteride: – It has been recommended and approved by the FDA in December 1997 for the treatment of baldness generally for males. It is a pill which works by blocking the enzyme 5-alpha reductase which is responsible for the formation of dihydrotestosterone in the body. With the help of this medicine concentration of DTH is decreased and new hair grows.
• Dutasteride: – This blocks the highly active form of testosterone and helps in the growth of hair.
• Minoxidil: – This medicine is available since 1988 which is applied by applicators or fingers over the bald area twice or thrice a day for hair growth. There are women’s strength and men’s strength of minoxidil available in shops.