Decoding the Causes & Home Remedies for Constipation Treatment
29-07-2017 | Posted By: Chhavi | 4681 View(s)
Constipation can be considered as a common digestive problem which is rarely discussed in the open. People tend to avoid conversations related to bowel movements, but why so? It’s completely a natural process, isn’t it? Many people feel uncomfortable, or they just shy away from having the conversations related to constipation.Constipation is a medical condition in which a person does not passes stools regularly or are not able to empty their bowels completely. It is a common health concern which affects around 1 in 7 adults and 1 in 3 children. This health condition is more common in pregnancy and older age.In this article we will discuss all about The Causes,Symptoms and the Home Remedies for Constipation Treatment.
There’s a stigma attached to this problem that many times people suffer from constipation but do not discuss and consult a doctor as they feel ashamed talking about it. So, we have come up with this article where we can discuss it without any disruption. You might be having a basic idea about constipation, but we’ll be giving detailed information about this less talked issue so as to remove the maximum doubts and queries related to Constipation.
Constipation is a digestive issue or problem wherein bowel movements are infrequent or hard to pass. Constipation can be the problem if you have fewer than three bowel movements in a week and in severe cases, they have less than one stool per week. During Constipation, your bowel movements are tough and happen less often than normal. It is not a major Health Concern but all efforts must be taken to address the issue and ensure Treatment of Constipation to avoid further complications. The treatment of Constipation should be a top priority and must be treated at the right time as it causes a lot of stomach pain and discomfort.
Signs and Symptoms of Constipation
• Passing fewer or less than three bowel movements in a week
• Stools may be painful or hard to pass
• Feeling strained to have bowel movements
• Pain or abdominal bloating
• Swollen Belly or stomachache
• Feeling as if you want to visit the toilet again and you can not empty the stool completely
These are some of the main signs and symptoms of constipation. It is not necessary to notice all these symptoms to decide whether you are constipated or not. The severity of constipation can be different in different individuals.
The problem of constipation can be considered chronic if two or more symptoms have been there for the last three months. Consulting a doctor in case of chronic constipation is vital.
Normal bowel movements per day:
The normal range is considered to be three bowel movements per day to three per week. One thing that matters the most is how effortlessly you pass your bowels without any unusual pain and discomfort.
Causes of Constipation
Most of the times this problem occurs when the stool moves too slowly through the digestive tract, or it cannot be eliminated from the rectum effectively, which in turn may cause the stool to become dry and hard.Various other Causes are:
1. In the taking of Antacid medicines containing Calcium or Aluminium
2. Changes in your usual Diet
3. Changes in your usual Activities
4. In taking lots of Dairy Products
5. Eating Disorders
6. Irritable Bowel Syndrome
7. Neurological conditions like Multiple Sclerosis or Parkinson’s Disease
8. Lack of Physical Activities
9. Less consumption of Water
10. Hypothyroidism, i.e. Underactive Thyroid
11. Few medications, especially strong pain drugs such as antidepressants or iron pills can also cause this stomach Problem.
12. Overuse of Laxatives
15.Lack of fluids in the diet
When to Consult a Doctor
If you have occasional constipation, you don’t need to go to a Doctor. However, if the problem persists and you experience unexplained changes in your bowel habits, you must consult a Doctor. Your Doctor will do a physical examination and will check your abdomen for any sign of a hardened mass. The Doctor may also conduct a rectal exam. Your Doctor may also advise you to go for a Blood Test to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment of Constipation
Mostly, Constipation can be treated by a change in diet and exercise or mild laxatives. Your Doctor will recommend the following modifications to treat the problem. However, Home remedies for Constipation can also be a good alternative
1 Include more Fibre in your Diet
Your Doctor will ask you to add fiber to your diet. It is because fibre helps in increasing the weight of your stool and speeds its passage through the intestines. You can include more vegetables, fruits, whole-grain bread and cereals to your diet. Some of the fibre rich foods are Beans, Peas, Broccoli, Avocados, Oatmeal, etc. You should not increase the amount of fibre all of a sudden as it can cause bloating and gas. You should slowly and work your way up to your goal over a few weeks
2. Exercise Regularly
Exercise and physical activities help in increasing the muscle activity in your intestines. Thus, you must exercise daily for at least half an hour to relieve your problem.
3. You must not ignore the urge to have a Bowel Movement.
You should not think of the pain you must be going through while having a bowel movement during this problem. You should take your time and allow yourself to have a bowel movement without feeling rushed.
There are certain laxatives such as Fibre Supplements, Lubricants, Stool Softeners and Osmotics which help in treating Constipation.
Home Remedies for Constipation
Here are some Home remedies for Constipation Treatment which can be really effective in its treatment.
Lemons stimulate our Digestive System and treat constipation effectively.
• Drink lemon water in the morning on an empty stomach.
• Take out the juice of half a lemon and add it to a glass of warm water. You can add a pinch of table salt and a little honey to it. Drink this daily and see results in a few days.
Honey acts as a mild laxative, and you can take it daily to get rid of this health problem. It can act as an Effective Home Remedy for Constipation Treatment.
• Take two teaspoons of honey thrice a day.
• Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice and honey in equal quantity in a glass of warm water. Drink it daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
Grapes are rich in fibre and help in producing regular bowel movements.
• Simply eat a small bowl of grapes or drink a glass of fresh grape juice daily.
• Alternatively, you can put 10 to 12 dry seedless grapes in milk. Then boil it for a few minutes and drink this solution in the evening. This home remedy works best for young children.
• If by chance fresh grapes are not available in the market, then you can also eat raisins. Soak some raisins in water at night and eat the soaked raising along with water in the morning on an empty stomach every day.
Spinach is rich in certain components which cleanse, reconstruct and regenerate the intestinal tract.
• Include raw or cooked Spinach in your diet.
• Drink a mixture of one glass of raw spinach juice with one glass of water twice a day.
Who does not love coffee? And what if it can be act as an effective Home Remedy for Constipation ? Coffee does not only taste good, but it also helps in stimulating your colon and is believed to help in having regular bowel movements
• Simply, drink a cup of coffee in the morning with a healthy breakfast.
• You can also drink Herbal Tea.
6.Include Mint or Ginger tea in your Routine
Mint and ginger help a lot in dealing with digestive problems. Peppermint has menthol that has the antispasmodic property to relax the muscles of the digestive tract. Ginger is believed to help in speeding up sluggish digestion. The hot water in tea also helps in stimulating digestion which contributes to relieve constipation.
7. Say Hello to Healthy Fats
There are myths associated with the consumption of fats. But there are a lot of healthy fats like nuts, olive oils and avocados which may help lubricate your intestines and relax constipation. And even if you are reducing weight, healthy fats are essential for the basic functions of the body.
An appropriate and balanced diet is essential to maintain your health. Poor diet and physical inactivity are said to be the most common causes of constipation. Food that contains fibres in good quality and quantity can help prevent constipation. A daily 15-minute walk can help normal bowel movements. Avoid lying down just after a heavy meal even if you feel sleepy.
Constipation is not a serious Health Concern, but the Treatment of Constipation and addressing the issue is important. and all efforts must be taken not to leave it untreated. If you feel that something is wrong with your bowel movements, you must consult a Doctor. If you have this health concern, you can also go in for Home Remedies for Constipation and get relief from the problem