The Many Benefits of Sunlight on our Health
27-06-2015 | Posted By: Admin | 1289 View(s)
Sun, The Creator and Destroyer
Sun is known as the harbinger of life to us humans from the very beginning of our civilisation.Our ancestors have known the life-giving powers of the sun.Along with this positive side, they were also conscious of the destructive capacity of this enormous energy source-The Sunlight
Due to this dual nature, the sun was both loved and feared by the ancient civilisation. From this mixed reaction and owing to their natural ignorance about the scientific aspect, the sun was hailed as a god and worshipped with the utmost respect, which is still the case in certain parts of the world. This great source of energy continues to shock mankind pleasantly with new discoveries every other day.
Decoding the ball of fire in terms of science
The modern world has also given a special place to the sun.It might not be as special as the seat of the alpha and the omega, as was provided by our predecessors millions of years ago, but is neither less important.A major percentage of the human population depends on exposure to the rays of the sun to meet their requirements for a vital vitamin i.e. vitamin D.Sun blesses us with numerous other kinds of benefits as well.
Benefits of Sunlight on our Health:
* We all have seen our parents putting out quilts, blankets and carpets in the sun. This is because microbes which tend to settle in these items die out with exposure to sunlight.
* Our skin becomes more elastic. The skin also seems to gain a healthy and bright look.
* Our immune system functions actively on exposure to the sun and gets recharged.
* Sun rays are extremely healthy and can keep skin diseases at bay.
* Tanned skin acts better against infections.
* The mood of a person tends to be affected by the sun. The production of endorphins is increased by the sun which in turn makes us feel relaxed and elated. Therefore we can say that the sun is an antidepressant.
* Sunlight also helps a person to get cured of the abhorred symptoms of insomnia by increasing the production of melatonin at night hours.
* The vitamin D production is increased manifold which in turn stimulates the calcium intake in the intestine, thus aiding in the formation of a human being of superior strength. Also, prevents osteoporosis and rachitism.
* a regular exposure to the sun has an anti-cancerous effect due to the increased production of vitamin D. Colon cancer, breast cancer, leukaemia and lymphomas can be kept at bay through controlled exposure to the sun.
* Blood circulation in the human body is improved to a large extent.
* The cardiovascular system is made stronger by the sun rays.
* Jaundice can be well treated through exposure to the sun in a controlled manner as it has positive effects on the functioning of our liver.
* Cholesterol level is also kept in check.
* Sun makes us sweat thus stimulating our body’s excretory system and keeping our kidneys in order.
* Aids in weight loss.
* Aids the healing process of a body.
Practice safe sun through Sunscreen Lotion
One can easily summarise the thousands of positive qualities which the sun has been blessing our planet and our species with. As our race advanced, so did our science. This advancement gifted us with the advent of sunscreen lotion around the middle of the 20th century. We mentioned points about the positive effects of controlled exposure to the sun. The sunscreen absorbs a part of the UV rays to which our skin has been exposed to, thus aiding in the process of controlled exposure to the sun. The use of these sunscreen lotions proves to be very helpful and should be used by everyone who has the possibility of getting exposed to the sun.
The Sunscreens are also divided into two Basic Types:
• Physical sunscreens: these tend to reflect the sunlight.
• Chemical sunscreens: these tend to absorb the Ultraviolet rays of the sun.
All said and done, the numerous positive effects of the sun on the human race can only justify our forefather’s tendencies to worship the ball of energy as a supernatural power.