Unveiling the Easy Steps to Make Hair Removal Wax at Home
18-08-2017 | Posted By: Chhavi | 2129 View(s)
Do you have to visit a salon for getting a wax, but are not able to due to time constraints? Well, this is a problem that every woman has faced either once or twice in their life. Getting a wax at a beauty salon can be sometimes expensive and time-consuming. Also, some women feel shy about visiting a salon and getting a wax done. So, if you want to try waxing at home, this article can help you out! In this article, you will get to know some easy steps to make your own hair removal wax at home! So, let’s get started!
Easy and Quick Steps to make Hair Removal Wax at Home
Firstly, you must know that for making the hair removal wax at home, you will need the following ingredients:
One cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
One cup (250 ml) honey
½ cup (125 ml) lemon juice
One tablespoon of water
Part A- Making the Sugar Wax
Step 1– The first step in making the sugar wax is melting the sugar. For this, put sugar in a medium-heavy saucepan and cook on medium flames. Do not stir; just swirl the pan occasionally, until the sugar begins to caramelise.
Step 2- In this step, you have to stir in the lemon juice and honey with a wooden spoon. Be careful while doing this as sugar will be very hot at this time. You have to stir until the mixture gets melted and has a smooth consistency. If you see that the mixture is too thick, you can add one tablespoon of water so that you get the right consistency. Watch for the mixture to form a smooth consistency. Once you have this mixture, know that your wax is ready!
Step 3- This is the last step in making hair removal wax at home. In this step, you have to remove the wax from the heat. After that, pour the wax into a jar or glass bowl and let it cool. Allow it to cool for at least two hours before using.
[Also Read: 10 Night Skin Care Routine Tips to wake up Pretty!]
Part B- Using the Sugar Wax
Step 1-Before you start waxing, you must check the length of the hair that you want to remove. Ideally, your hair should be between 1/8-inch and 1-4 inch, i.e. 3 mm and 6 mm respectively long. If your hair that you want to wax is too long or too short, then do not try waxing, as wax won’t be able to pull too short hair by the roots. Likewise, you may experience discomfort if you have long hair.
Step 2-Once you have checked the length of your hair, it’s time to prepare strips of fabric. By chance you do not have strips, don’t panic! You can easily make strips by cutting up or tearing up a cotton or linen shirt. In order to fix frayed edges, you can sew around the edges of your strips with a sewing machine.
Step 3-Before you apply the wax, dust some baby powder to your skin. It is because the baby powder is effective in absorbing body oils and moisture, which allows the wax to stick to your hair that needs to get waxed and not your skin. This eventually makes the waxing process much easier and less painful.
Step 4- Take a wooden tongue depressor or a spatula and using this, apply the wax in the direction where desired in the direction of hair growth.
Step 5- Cover the waxed area with a fabric strip. And then, press down on the fabric so that it sticks to your skin properly.
Step 6- Hold the end of the strip firmly and then pull the strip up and away from your skin quickly in just one go. You have to do this very quickly and make sure not to pull it off at a 90° angle, but in a shallow angle. If the process is done correctly, then you will see small hair sticking to the strip. But if you see that some hair remains on the waxed area, then you have to reapply the wax and repeat the process until it’s gone completely.
[Also Read: How to Make Homemade Skin Toners for Glowing Skin?]
The Do’s and Dont’s of DIY Waxing
1. You must exfoliate your skin with either a body scrub or a washcloth before and after waxing. Also, make sure to moisturise your skin with a lotion after waxing to keep your skin hydrated.
2. Before waxing, sprinkle baby powder on the area about to be waxed. This will absorb excess moisture on the skin and will make the waxing process painless.
3. Before using the wax, you must test its temperature. To check the temperature, you can apply a bit of wax to the inside of your wrist and make sure that the temperature is comfortable for you or not. If it is too cold, then it won’t spread, and if it’s too hot, then you will burn yourself. So, make sure to test the temperature first.
4. When you are waxing at home, you have to be sure that you apply and pull the strip in the right direction. After placing the cloth strip over the wax, you must leave the strip on for a few seconds to sit and then pull it off. And when you pull it off, make sure it is in the opposite direction of hair growth.
When you remove the cloth strip, make sure to apply pressure to the waxed area. It is because it helps in relieving the sting and also prevents bruising.
[Also Read: The 5 Best Foods for Glowing Skin]
1. Do not wax hair that is too short or too long. The reason is already stated above in the blog that if the hair is too long, the pain will be unbearable. And if it is too short, then the wax will not reach the hair properly.
2. Do not ever wax the same area more than two times. It is because waxing the same area more than twice can be painful and damage the skin. If you still have hair left after applying the wax twice, then use tweezers to remove them.
3. Do not try waxing if you are taking acne medications or have a sunburn. Also, you should avoid waxing bikini areas two days before or after your period as it can be more painful than other times at that time your skin is more sensitive due to hormonal changes.
So, next time you don’t get time to visit a salon for waxing; don’t worry! Just follow the steps mentioned in the list, and your hair removal wax will be prepared easily and quickly!