How to Get rid of Bad Breath !
16-06-2015 | Posted By: Admin | 2128 View(s)
Bad breath is generally caused by an increase in odour-causing bacteria in the mouth and decrease in saliva production or a stomach problem. However, one of the most common reasons behind this is eating foods like garlic or raw onion.
Human beings are a social animal.So anybody can be embarrassed by bad breath when you expel an odour that is not foul to your senses but your surroundings. It can even ruin relationships. So it should not be overlooked. Everybody has nasty breath in the morning after leaving the bed. Some people don’t realise that they have bad breath.
There is a way to find out the same. Take a piece of gauze and wipe it on the tongue. If the gauze comes out with a yellow colour or with a smell then it is an indication of having a high level of sulphides that causes breathing problems. Everyone wakes up with bad breath as the bacteria keep multiplying in the mouth for the whole night. So we need to get rid of bad breath.
Causes of Bad Breath:
Bacteria are the main cause of bad breath. These Bacteria form communities in the fissure of the tongue, gums and teeth. Bad Breath also comes from an oral source. A dirty denture, dry mouth, cracked fillings and cavities are the other reason for bad breath. Gum diseases can lead to bad breath too. Diabetes, Liver diseases, Chronic bronchitis and respiratory tract infection, etc. , can also be a reason for bad breath.
Food plays a major role to cause bad breath because what you eat affects what you exhale, for the food gets digested, then absorbed int the bloodstream and exhaled by the lungs at the time of breath. Food like garlic and onions are infamous for creating it. In the morning when the mouth is extremely dry, and there is not enough saliva to wash away food particles and bacteria, it causes bad breath. Infrequent flossing can lead to this problem. The tongue is the best lodge for bacteria and its growth is 80-90% on the backside of the tongue and causes it.
There are several other factors also that causes bad breath like poor dental hygiene, dry mouth, infections in your mouth and other nose and throat conditions. If you are dealing with a bad breath problem, then do visit a Dentist. Other than that, you can try using mouth fresheners to get rid of your bad breath. Don’t worry! There are some simple ways to prepare mouth fresheners at home about which we will discuss later in this article.
If anybody has a bad breath problem on a continuous basis, then they must visit a dentist. Then only they can find out the actual reasons for the same. Though there are many ways to prevent it such as
• Brush twice daily: Brush your teeth twice a day. It will keep your breath smelling fresh.
• Floss the Teeth: Flossing removes food trapped between Teeth.
• Scraping Tongue: Due to the plaque that has assembled in the tongue’s folds, it must be cleaned by tongue scraper twice a day.
• Using Sugar-Free Gum: Though the gum is not proper oral hygiene, the chewing stimulates saliva and stops your mouth from drying out. This helps to get rid of bad-smelling breath.
• Quit Smoking: If you want to get rid of bad breath, then give up smoking. It increases the risk of gum diseases and breath.
• Use Mouthwash: Use of mouthwash is recommended by the dentist. It should be used on a daily basis in the morning and at night. It helps to get rid of bad breath. It is better to use alcohol-free brands that contain chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide.
• Hydration: Drink lots of water after a meal. It helps to clean harmful bacteria and detritus from between the teeth. The mouth needs saliva to remove bacteria. So it is needed not to have a dry mouth. So Stay hydrated.
• Decrease coffee consumption: Drink green tea instead of coffee as it is has a tough smell to get off the back of your tongue.
There are also natural ways to get rid of bad-smelling breath. Eat fresh food, drinking milk, washing your mouth with baking soda, gargling with apple cider vinegar, chewing of fresh herbs, etc. So get rid of it by natural ways as soon as possible to avoid unwarranted embarrassment.
Here are Some Ingredients You Can use to Make Homemade Mouth Freshener
Cardamom, also called Choti elaichi has a strong and unique and taste. Its strong aroma helps in reducing bad breath. Also, it improves digestion and relieves problem like flatulence and bloating.
Cinnamon, is also known as dalchini and is one of the most ingredients for oral health. It helps in inhibiting the growth of odour-causing bacteria and also improves your digestive system.
Cloves, also known as laung, have excellent antioxidant and antimicrobial properties that help in healing and fighting infections in the mouth.
4. Coriander Seeds
Coriander seeds, also called dhania daal, has a strong flavour which enables you to get rid of bad breath immediately.
Fennel is also known as saunf, and it comprises of anethole that has powerful antimicrobial properties that fight against fungi, yeast and bacteria. It has a tasty, sweet flavour which helps in keeping your mouth feeling fresh after a meal.
6. Dried Ginger Powder
Dried ginger powder, also known as sonth, has antibacterial properties that effectively kill odour-causing bacteria in the mouth. Also, it boosts the production of saliva in the mouth, which helps in keeping away the bacteria and leaves you with sweet breath.
Flaxseeds are also known as alsi and efficiently work in treating bad breath. They have a long-lasting flavour and hence keeps your breath fresh.
8. Melon Seeds
Melon seeds, also known as magaz, help in improving digestion. They have a sweet flavour which helps you stay away from bad breath problems.
9. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are excellent for stomach and digestion, and hence they are used to prepare natural mouth freshener.
How to Prepare Homemade Mouth Freshener
Things you Will Need
• ¼ cup fennel seeds
• ¼ cup coriander seeds
• ¼ cup white sesame seeds
• One teaspoon dried ginger powder
• One teaspoon cinnamon powder
• One-half teaspoon clove powder
• Two tablespoons cardamom seeds
• One tablespoon carom seeds
• Dried coconut shreds- As desired
• One tablespoon flaxseeds
• Two tablespoons melon seeds
• Sugar candy (also known as mishri)- As per your taste
Method to Prepare Homemade Mouth Freshener
Keep all the ingredients in front of you. Now, you need to put a skillet on the stove and turn the heat on low. Now, pour fennel seeds into the skillet and dry roast for about five minutes and set aside. Then, dry roast coriander seeds for three to four minutes. Then, you have to dry roast white sesame seeds for five minutes. Now the next step is dry roast shredded coconut until the colour changes to a light golden brown. Dry roast melon seeds for a few minutes. Next, you need to dry roast flaxseeds for six to seven minutes, until they start spluttering. After that, you have to dry roast carom seeds for three to four minutes. Once you are done, mix all of these roasted ingredients in a bowl. Now, mix in dried ginger powder, clove, cinnamon powder and sugar candy and blend all the ingredients well. Tada! Your homemade mouth freshener is ready!
Store your delicious mouth freshener in an airtight container and keep the container in a cool, dry place. Consume one or two teaspoons after meals.
Few Key Points to Remember
1. Make sure that you roast the ingredients on low heat because roasting them on high heat may turn them sour.
2. Keep the mouth container in an airtight container.
3. Avoid consuming sulphide-rich foods like onion, ginger and garlic at night because they lead to foul breath.
4. Avoid eating foods rich in protein at night as anaerobic bacteria tend to grow at night on the protein leftover in the mouth, causing bad breath.
We hope you liked the blog! If you have any other ideas on how to make mouth fresheners at home, do not forget to share with us in the comments section below.